The Cub Tracks

Wrestling @ Burlington Tournament

Joshua Vanatta, Reporter

At the Burlington tournament Jan. 6, Humboldt placed 11th out of 22 teams and had six out of nine wrestlers place.

Cheyenne Harris. so., competed in the girls bracket where she placed first. She managed to pin each of her opponents which put her at 4-0 for the day.

Reid Barnett, jr., was placed in a separate bracket where he pinned each of his opponents and ended the day with a record of 4-0.

“I thought I performed very well at this tournament,” Barnett said. “I am proud that the team competed to the best of their ability and managed to take 11th.”

Dagen Goodner, jr., went 3-1 at the tournament. He made it to the championship round where he was pinned, placing him in second place.

Noah Johnson, sr.,  220 lb. class, won his first two matches with pins, lost his third and went to the semifinals where he lost by decision which placed him in fourth place going 2-2.

Seth Hegwald, sr., lost his first match by a pin, won his second and lost his third match in the quarter finals, placing him sixth with a 1-2 record for the day.

In Clay Shannon’s, fr., first match he was pinned within the first period but redeemed himself by winning his next two. He fell short during his fourth match and placed sixth going 2-2 on the day.

Josh Vanatta, sr., lost both of his first two matches by getting pinned. In his last match he pinned his opponent. This put Vanatta 1-2 at the tournament.

Gunner Elder, so., pinned his opponent in the second period, but then received medical attention after the match which caused an injury default to his upcoming matches. Elder went 1-0 at the tournament.

David Watts, jr., won his first match against a state qualifier by decision and lost his second with a pin. Watts won his next match by pin and moved onto the semifinal round where he lost by decision granting him a fourth place finish going 2-2.