The Cub Tracks

Fifth Annual Journalism Banquet

Aubrey+Jones%2C+student+teacher%2C+and+Sydney+Houk%2C+sr.%2C+hug+as+Jones+accepts+her+Friend+of+HHS+Multimedia+Award.+
Aubrey Jones, student teacher, and Sydney Houk, sr., hug as Jones accepts her Friend of HHS Multimedia Award.

Tori White

Tori White

Sadie Houk, Assistant Online Editor

The fifth annual journalism banquet took place April 18 in the Humboldt Community Fieldhouse. Each HHS journalism student and their families were invited to attend; there were a total of 125 people who attended the banquet. Corey Isbell catered the main dish and each family provided a dessert or side dish.

The senior journalism editors all voted on a recipient of the Friend of HHS Multimedia award and a feature speaker for the event. This year, the Friend of HHS Multimedia recipient was Aubrey Jones, student teacher. Corey Isbell was voted as the feature speaker.

A total of 19 editor pins of achievement were handed out and 26 additional certificates of achievement were also handed out. The qualifications for a pin are two years on a publication staff, grades in journalism courses did not drop below a 75% on a semester grade, and an editor position must have been held for a minimum of one year. Certificate of Achievement Award qualifications are one full year in journalism, and grade that did not drop below a 75% on a semester grade. Another set of awards that were handed out were the KSPA Regional awards; there were 33 handed out. Those students who placed at Regionals were congratulated and wished well for their state competition taking place May 5.

A few of the seniors also came together and bought Kim Isbell, adviser, a massage chair for her classroom. They also made a video of pictures of them together to remember them before they graduate.

“I was shocked that my seniors made a farewell video and gave me an awesome gift, Isbell, said. I am truly blessed to have had them in class these last four years. We will miss all of them next year.”

Also at the event was a silent auction. The money raised from the auction will go toward student attendance and competition at the 2018 National Convention in Chicago.

Seniors Sydney Houk, Noah Johnson, Rylan Wilhite, Chassis Hoepker, and Britnee Works get food at the fifth annual journalism banquet.