The Cub Tracks

What’s Extracurricular?

Taylor Beeman

Taylor Beeman

Alex Melendez & Jayden Cooper, Reporter & Photographer

Taylor Beeman

What’s the extra? Visitors may come and browse around HHS and notice that there is a lot that goes on in everyday high school life. Before school, it is possible to find students working out, at choir practice, at the local coffee shop, or even receiving extra help from teachers. For instance on Friday mornings before school, FCA meets to have breakfast, pray, and talk about their concerns.

As students attend an eight-hour school day, they can often be found in the agriculture department or the journalism room working on different assignments. As soon as the bell rings at the end of the day, kids can be seen rushing out of the building to their vehicles to start their after school life. Some of the activities consist of sports, work, checking on animals, or even staying after school to catch a quick workout in the gym.

Eden Carman, sr., balances dance practice and her school work throughout the week. When not busy working on other activities, she typically catches up on homework, continues to rehearse for upcoming preformances or hangs out with her friends.

“Dance definitely keeps me busy practicing in and out of the studio,” Carman said. “It can often be difficult to balance everything with school work when practices run late, but I usually handle things pretty well.”

Most juniors and seniors are involved in taking dual-credit classes. Yet, this does not stop them from staying active in extracurricular activities. Many of the students taking dual-credit classes have a heavy course load. They manage to balance their school work and their extracurricular activities without having to give things up that they care about.  

Senior Hesston Murrow balances his class work and working out on an everyday basis. When Hesston is not in the gym, he can be found staying caught up on his school work, and staying active in other extracurricular activities such as FCA or journalism.

“Working out is another alternative for me since I broke my arm in the early Spring and can’t play sports,” Murrow said. “It’s pretty easy for me to stay caught up in school, but sometimes my heavy course load can often stress me out. Being involved in lots of extracurricular activities allows me to always have new chances to try something new.”

Young teens are often busy participating in sports and working, but that never seems to stop them from maintaining a balanced social life. Being involved in extracurricular activities gives students opportunities to find where they stand throughout the high school and what they actually enjoy doing. Students can break out of their shells and find new friends by stepping away from things they do every day in order to try something new. Between extracurricular activities and after school events, high school students always find some way to stay busy beyond school hours.

“You can find who you are through the activities you participate in,” Aricah McCall, sr., said.

Taylor Beeman
Practicing for the upcoming band concert, freshman, Anna Goforth, plays “Orange and Black” on her clarinet. The concert will be April 30 in the Humboldt High School Auditorium.