The Cub Tracks

Life Outside of the Bells

Noah Johnson

Noah Johnson

Chassis Hoepker, Newspaper Editor-in-Chief

Zoey Rinehart

Work. School. Sports. In a school where many high schoolers come running into the classroom right before the 7:55 a.m. tardy bell rings, for many, their day begins hours earlier. From attending a practice, meeting, or working in the field at the family farm, what happens before the first bell of the day is often unknown, but its effects can be seen in each individual. After the long day of school, students rush out at the end of the day to attend more activities.

Being active in clubs, sports, hobbies and work within a small school setting can provide opportunities for students. In fact, students often find interests and hobbies that they can revolve their school day around.

For many, activities involve waking up early before school to do chores on the farm or heading to the school early to attend a club meeting; students make sacrifices every day.

Rylan Wilhite
Hunter Nickell

“It doesn’t matter if I got two or eight hours of sleep; I get up every morning and do chores,” Hunter Nickell, sr., said. “Those animals count on me day to day to feed and water them so they can survive. The same applies in the evening. I feed the animals twice a day and make it a huge priority to make sure they stay healthy.”

As students make their way to school, they can look forward to electives such as weights, FFA, or journalism that keep them busy and allow them to interact with peers. Elective classes like these allow students to pursue their interests throughout the day.

“I feel that taking a weight class during school is beneficial because it gives me an hour away from the books,” Tucker Hurst, jr., said. “Weights have given me the opportunity to

Rylan Wilhite
Tucker Hurst

dominate in sports and have taught me to work hard for things that I want.”

When the 3:25 p.m. bell rings, students hurry out of the school to continue their daily life. Some may be found attending sport practices, meetings, scholar’s bowl meets, watching various tutorials or going to an after school job; everyone goes their own way depending on their personal interests.

“After school, I immediately go to practice,” Rylan Wilhite, sr., said. “Once practice is over, I try to get my homework done. Whenever I have free time, it is usually spent watching make-up videos on YouTube or just practicing make-up. I have a lot on my plate, but I think it is important to make time for yourself.”

Noah Johnson

Because many students have begun venturing to the work force, small businesses in the community have the opportunity to provide jobs to them in an effort to help them prepare them for their future. This opportunity gives students a way to earn money for their future and hobbies while also boosting the community’s economy.

“It is hard for me sometimes to juggle all of the things I have on my plate, from school and college work, to work, racing, and being involved in high school,” Marisha Collins, jr., said. “Even though I face a tremendous amount of stress every day, I do not regret the choices I have made to be involved because it allows me to become a better person.”

After a full week of working before and after school, some students spend time prepare to race at the local race track every Friday. Having this hobby means there is a lot time

after school and work spent on repairing race cars in order to be ready for the next Friday night race.

Rylan Wilhite
Rylan Wilhite

“I love the thrill I get from every turn, but most importantly I love the time I have gotten to spend with my dad the past few years while working on the race car after work,” Collins said.

Though the days may be exhausting, each day allows students to pursue their interest both before and after school in hopes of providing well-rounded members of

Rylan Wilhite
Marisha Collins

society.

Senior Brandon Culp practices welding.